Old Spanish Missions-New Mexico

The Spaniards’ colonization of the New World included the conversion of Natives to Christianity.  Many of the missions were built during the 1700s throughout New Mexico, and many still stand today.

Some are preserved as ruins, while others are in daily use.

Nuestra Senora de la Asuncion de Zia-The mission church name which means Our Lady of the Assumption. 

Nuestra Senora de los Angeles de Porciuncula de los Pecos- During the Spanish colonial period, this church was the largest European structure north of the Mexican border

Nuestra Senora de Purisima Concepcion de Quarai-This mission is the most complete of all the ruins from the 17th century

Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument- One of the earliest remants of contact between Native Americans and Spanish explorers

Mission- built in 1612, the mission church, a focal point of the traditional plaza, is a typical example of Spanish colonial architecture.

San Buenaventura de Cochiti- completed in 1628, the present church was remodeled in the 1960′s.  No original furnishings remain

San Esteban del Rey de Acoma was established in 1629 and completed in 1641.  This church as been in continuous use since 1641, with the exception of 1680-1692 during the Pueblo Revolt

San Felipe Mission- build on the site of a previous church (1706), the present church was completed in 1736 and is one of the least altered churches still standing

San Gregorio de Abo Mission- established approx. 1640, Fray Francisco Acevedo became the guardian of Abo.

San Ildefonso Mission- The original mission church was built in 1711, but was later destroyed.  Today’s church is a facsimile of the original.

San Isidro and San Buenaventura de Humanas (Gran Quivira)- part of the Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument

San Jose (Giusewa) de Jemez Mission- Built in 1627, the mission church is in ruines, but still very impressive. 

San Jose de Laguna- The mission church was built in 1699 and still has some of the original decorations.

San Lorenzo de Picuris- More than 200 years old, and was once the largest Tiwa pueblos

San Miguel Mission- Active from 1915 to 1928, although the south wall dates from 1598.

San Miguel Mission Chapel- The oldest church still in use in the United States.  Made of earthhue adobe, was built in the early 17th century by the Tlaxcalan Indians of Mexico.

Santa Ana Pueblo Misison- Completed in 1750

Santo Domingo Mission- The original mission church was destroyed by flooding of the Rio Grande River.  The present church was rebuilt in 1895.

Santuario de Chimayo- Famous for easter pilgrimage by foot to the holy spot evey year by hundreds of believers from all over New Mexico.

Santuario de Guadalupe-The nation’s oldest shrine dedicated to Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Salinas Mission.jpgSan Jose Mission.jpgSan Miguel Mission.jpgThe Mission at Chimayo.jpg

The Spaniards’ colonization of the New World included the conversion of Natives to Christianity [and when you make your Spain holidays you can personally see and experience its Christian hold in the world. Many of the missions were built during the 1700s throughout New Mexico, and many still stand today. Some are preserved as ruins, while others are in daily use.